Thursday 1 December 2011

Optimism vs pessimism

What’s emerging, from studies like this, is that both optimism and pessimism have important roles to play in people’s lives.

Being optimistic allows people to pursue their goals in a positive way: to dream a bigger and better dream, which they can work their way towards. Optimists also seem to respond better to positive feedback, and part of being optimistic may be generating this feedback for themselves, i.e. thinking positive thoughts.

On the other hand being pessimistic may help people reduce their natural anxiety and to perform better. Also, pessimists seem to respond better to negative feedback. They like to hear what the problems were, so they can correct them. Again, part of why pessimists generate these sorts of negative thoughts is that it helps them perform better.

So it’s different strokes for different folks. Optimism and pessimism aren’t just accidents; this evidence suggests they are two different, but effective, strategies of coping with a complex and unpredictable world.
~jeremy dean

After reading the article above, i've got this conclusion - the writer is an optimist. i m saying this becoz i personally think that pessimists have this patterns of thinking that make almost all events turn out to be negative. they believe tat one mistake means more will come, and mistakes in other areas will all linked up like they are inevitable. if they think it's gonna be negative, it will turn out negatively. it's all in their head. u get wat u wish for.

on the contrary, an optimist will turn a negative situation into a positive one. becoz every situation, be it good or bad has something about it tat u can learn to be stronger, better or be thankful for. remember, anything that's not life threatening is not tat serious afterall. do u agree w me?

Quote of the day
A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them. ~Leonard Louis Levinson

Michelle Branch - "Breathe"
Writer: BRANCH, MICHELLE / SHANKS, JOHN

I've been driving for an hour
Just talking to the rain
You say I've been driving you crazy
And its keeping you away
So just give me one good reason
Tell me why I should stay
Cause I don't want to waste another moment
In saying things we never meant to say

And I take it just a little bit
I, hold my breath and count to ten
I, I've been waiting for a chance to let you in

If I just breathe
Let it fill the space between
I'll know everything is alright
Breathe
Every little piece of me
You'll see
Everything is alright
If I just breathe

Well it's all so overrated
In not saying how you feel
So you end up watching chances fade
And wondering what's real

And I give you just a little time
I, wonder if you realize
I've been waiting till I see it in your eyes

If I just breathe
Let it fill the space between
I'll know everything is alright
Breathe,
Every little piece of me
You'll see
Everything is alright
If I just breathe
Breathe

So I whisper and I'm,
Hoping you hear me
Do you hear me?

If I just breathe
Let it fill the space between
I'll know everything is alright
Breathe,
Every little piece of me
You'll see
Everything is alright

I've been driving for an hour
Just talking to the rain

2 comments:

Moo Moo Cow said...

it's all about choices... to be an optimist or pessimist... ^=^

but of course, it's always easier said than being done... life's never easy but we just grow stronger learning... if life's easy, there will be not so much sufferings in this world... anyway, u don't lose anything just by trying...

just sharing some articles i find interesting...read with open heart...

http://tinybuddha.com/blog/being-happy-in-the-present-see-the-tree/

http://tinybuddha.com/blog/6-tips-to-live-in-peace-and-balance-what-to-let-go/

trollisann said...

thanks. nice readings.